Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sigh

An Ikea employee approached me on Sunday while I waited for my friend. I was holding Stella who was looking mighty cute if I say so myself. Anyway, she came up and this was our conversation.

Ikea lady: Oh what a pretty baby! A girl right?

Me: Yes, a girl. (I guess she didn't notice that Stella was wearing a blouse)

Ikea lady: What's her name?

Me: Stella

Ikea lady: Aw, that's cute.

Pause

Ikea lady: So what country did you get her from?


End Scene

For the record, this is the first time anyone has been even a little strange about how my babies and I aren't the same color. Well the server at Dim Sum didn't really believe the babies were mine but that's another story. Now if Ikea lady had said this about Aaron I might have understood - I'd still be offended but I might have understood. But I think Stella looks like a fat baby version of me sans the tan. And I had more hair. Anyway, I basically explained her ethnic make up and left it at that. The best part is the lady never felt strange about asking.

And for the record, have black people started adopting Asian/Latino/a babies from other countries? Did I miss this on the news?




See, that's what I'd look like if i were trying to eat the cover for a shopping cart too!

1 comment:

Ireney said...

Um, she didn't feel weird about asking you even after you explained? Wow, so confusing... but hey, makes for a great story! :)